Purple Prose + psychology

Understanding Human Nature

source

As writers, we spend a lot of time getting to know our characters. We know their traits, their interests, their fears, their backstories. But while we’re doing this, we’re developing a deeper understanding of human nature (especially if you’re not a psychologist).

Several weeks ago, I had to deal with a mother at my kids’ bus stop who went postal (without a gun) on me. This was right after she came close to hitting a kid with her SUV as she tried to park at the stop. Literally at the stop. She forces the bus to park further away because she is determined to be the one to park next to the only stretch of sidewalk (much to the parents’ and bus driver’s chagrin). It happened on the Monday, and then again on the Wednesday.

On the Wednesday, she wanted to talk to me after the kids got on the bus. But she was already agitated and there was no way in hell I was staying around for round two. This is when she started screaming and acting irrational in front of another parent, a toddler, and nine elementary school kids.

I ended up reporting her to the police. It was obvious the woman is dealing with issues and she needed a wake-up call to get help (although it’s highly unlikely she saw it the same way). Her son isn’t liked in school (as my kids have been pointing out for months), and her behavior made things worse for him. But it gave me an opportunity to explain to my kids that they shouldn’t judge him. It’s obvious he’s dealing with a lot in his life right now. His actions are guided by things they don’t know about, including his backstory.

Have you found that being a writer has helped you understand people and their actions better? When you’re in a fight or flight situation (or any highly emotional situation), do you mentally catalogue your body’s visceral reactions for use in a future story? (Yes, I did actually do that!)

characterization, and more:

Understanding Human Nature + psychology