Purple Prose + Stina

Where are You?

©Stina Lindenblatt

I’m currently taking an online social media workshop through the YARWA. So far it’s been interesting. Last week we came up with keywords that describe us and what we write. We then used Google Adwords to determine the level of competition (low, medium, high) that uses the same word or phrase. I have no idea why we’re doing this. The relevance will be revealed this week (I hope).

While I was goofing around (aka procrastinating from what I was supposed to be doing), I searched for ‘Stina New Adult.’ The result showed my blog, Twitter, Goodreads, and Pinterest accounts, and several guest posts I’ve done. That wasn’t a surprise. The surprise came when I scrolled down to the bottom of the second page. I’m not the only Stina who writes YA and NA. That’s right. There are two of us, but the other Stina lives in the US. I live in Canada. She writes paranormal stories. I write contemporary romances.

This discovery leads to an important point. Why is she buried on page two and I take up the majority of the first two pages (and beyond)? The reason is because I’m more active with social networking, or more specifically, because I blog. She showed up because her book is on Goodreads.

As an author, you want to be easily found if someone googles your name. If they can’t remember your full name, will they still be able to find you, or will you be buried somewhere where they are less likely to see you? While looking for you, they might discover another author and buy her book instead.

What are you doing to make sure your name appears at the top of the list if someone googles it?

blogging, book, google, hope, new adult, social media, and more:

Where are You? + Stina