Purple Prose + TIME

Influential YA Authors

I didn't put together a writing post for today. Instead, I decided to list those authors who I love and who might have influenced my writing. I figured this was easier than listing the books I love since that would be one very long list.

YA Contemporary

  • Sarah Dessen (Favorites include: Lock and Key, Along for the Ride, The Truth about Forever, Just Listen)

  • Sarah Ockler (Her debut novel is Twenty Boy Summer. I cried. A lot.)

  • Lurlene McDaniel (Hit and Run, Breathless, Prey, Letting Go of Lisa. I went through a gazillion boxes of Kleenexes with Lurlene’s books).

  • Jay Asher (Yep, another Kleenex box worthy author.)

  • Simone Elkeres (Perfect Chemistry. Definitely steamy. The book inspired me to add some Spanish to Lost in a Heartbeat to make the characterization stronger.)

  • Laurie Halse Anderson (Speak and Wintergirls)

  • Bethany Griffin (Handcuffs)


YA Paranormal/Urban Fantasy

  • Lisa McMann (I can't get enough of her Wake series.)

  • Alyson Noël (Actually, Saving Zoë had an influence on my current novel, Lost in a Heartbeat).

  • Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instrument Series. If only I could write imagery like she does.)

  • Richelle Mead (Dimitri. Need I say more?)

  • Daniel Waters (Generation Dead and Kiss of Life. Brilliant themes. They’re the only zombie books I like.)

  • Stephenie Meyers (I’ll admit I’ve switched to Team Jacob after seeing New Moon in the theatre.)

  • Libra Bray (I loved the Gemma Doyle series—The Great and Terrible Beauty, etc.)

This is just a sample of my favorite authors, and I’m discovering new ones all the time. Who are some of your fav authors?
Now I’m off now to deal with my Wii injury (strained shoulder muscles). Turns out playing tennis on the system is not the same as playing it in real life. Lovely.

Hope you all have a safe and happy New Year's Eve. And best wishes for the New Year.

Stina

best, book, fantasy, favorite, HAPPY, hope, LIFE, MOON, Novel, and more:

Influential YA Authors + TIME