Purple Prose + Writing

Removing the Clutter

Some people love collecting clutter *nudges basement door shut with foot*, but for photographers and writers, this is usually a big no-no.

When taking a photo, check the view finder or LCD screen to make sure everything in the picture is there for a reason. If it distracts from the subject, then remove the unwanted object, or move to a different location or angle so the object is no longer visible. You can also adjust the depth of field (aperture) so everything behind the subject is blurry.

During WriteOnCon in August, an editor* shared two questions to ask yourself to ensure your writing is clutter free. You ask these questions for each sentence, paragraph, scene, and chapter:

1. Why are you telling me this? (relevance)

2. Why are you telling me this now? (placement)

Also, go through your manuscript word by word, and ask yourself if the word is necessary, if it can be cut, or if it should be changed to a stronger word that will establish voice. For example, by changing ‘ran fast’ to ‘sprinted’, you’ve replaced two weaker words with a strong one. By changing the words to dashed or bolted, you’ve tweaked the voice.

How are you when it comes to clutter? Do you have any other suggestions for keeping your photos or writing clutter free?

*sorry, I went back to find the session, but couldn’t find the one I wanted. The one I think it was, isn’t linked to the schedule anymore.

<<<3

Since I have tons to do before my upcoming trip (like finish beta reading a project I’m in love with), today is my last post until my return to the blogosphere on November 21st. I miss you all already.

XOX

editing, photography tips, and more:

Removing the Clutter + Writing