Purple Prose + prologue

Worse Than a Prologue?

We’ve all heard that agents and editors don’t like prologues. This is because the majority are nothing but backstory, and most of it is unnecessary to understand the characters and the story. A wise writer will weave the vital information where needed (and avoid the prologue if it's not essential), which heightens the suspense and keeps the reader turning the pages. I don’t mind them, but that’s because the bad ones don’t make it into traditionally published books. The book either doesn’t get published, or the editor (or agent) tactfully breaks the news to the writer and she cuts it.

It’s not prologues that irritate me. It’s the preface some writers include, because they think it’s essential to the story, that often turns me off a book. They usually involve a page or two of the climax (or something like that), and hint at what’s to come. Except, I don’t know the characters at that point to care enough about what happens to them. Isn’t that why we’re told not to start the first chapter in the middle of the action? The reader doesn’t care enough about the main character at that point to want to keep reading. And when you start with a preface, it’s like a (false) warning:

Dear Reader,

I know the beginning of my novel is dull, but as you can see by the preface, the climax is very exciting. Please buy my book and you won’t be sorry.

Sincerely,

The Author

Do you like prefaces or do you tend to skip over them? If you see one in a book, do you keep reading or do you pick up a different book?

(No, The Hunger Games doesn’t have a preface (or prologue). I just can’t wait for the movie and had to include an image from it to tie me over until I can see it.)

<<<3

Due to spring break, I’m going unplugged from March 23rd to April 2nd. I can’t wait to catch up on everyone’s great news when I get back. *waves bye*

book, movie, Novel, preface, and more:

Worse Than a Prologue? + prologue