Purple Prose + Writing

Passion

©Stina Lindenblatt

It’s our passion for writing that keeps us sane through plot problems and rejections. Without that passion, our work became tired, void of emotion. Passion helps us through the good moments and the not-so-great ones. But what about your other passions in life? In your pursuit of publication, have you neglected those passions that once gave you great joy, but you pushed them aside so you could finish one more scene, one more chapter, one more book?

I did this with my photography. Don’t get me wrong. I was still shooting photos, but I wasn’t putting the same level of passion into it that I once did, before writing took over my life. I used to study craft books, magazines, photos in order to challenge my skills further (much like I do with my writing). I recently decided to welcome photography back into my life on a daily basis. I love editing my stories, and now I’m applying the same love to my photos (as I have been doing in the last few weeks).

Have you pushed aside a previous passion because of your writing? What non-writing passions exist in your life (sorry, spouses and kids don’t count here. They’re a given).

Quote

book, love, passion, and more:

Passion + Writing