Purple Prose + Review

A Woman Shepherd?

Something that really stuck out with me while reading the Bible in 90 Days was this verse:

Genesis 29:9 Jacob was still talking with them when Rachel arrived with her father's flock, for she was a shepherd.

(That did my little working Mommy heart good... I might have a little mommy guilt... )
Last time I read B90 I focused on names. I figured if someone did something awesome enough to be written and put in the Bible, then I'd be sure to focus on it (It made reading some of the generations take a while lol).
This time, I am focusing on women in the Bible and specificially what they did/didn't do for God.
A lot of times, we hear all about the men and just a few of the women (Mary, Martha, Deborah, etc.). But there are so many more women, and so many more stories than we usually study about.
Like this little snippet about Rachel.
She was a shepherd.
Who knew?
*I* didn't know (and I read this six months ago!).
Rachel wasn't at home fixing the men supper or cleaning while the men folk worked. No, Rachel was right there with them, working as hard as they were. It didn't say she was a 'shepherdess'. It said she was a shepherd.
I didn't even know they 'made' women shepherds (where have I been?).
Wonder if she wanted to be a shepherd? Wonder if it was necessity on her daddy's part or if she wasn't the type to want to stay indoors? Was she a tomboy? Did she love being a shepherd or hate it? Would she have rather been taking care of their home?
The things that make you think...
Much Love,
Kelly
Linked with: On Your Heart Tuesday, Women Living Well Wednesday and Winsome Wednesday

love, and more:

A Woman Shepherd? + Review