Purple Prose + photography tips

Tip # 66: Yes you can!

A number of you have commented on my previous photography tips that you love the pictures but you only have a point & shoot camera. For the next few weeks, I’m going to show you how to take great photos with your point & shoot camera. I took my Canon Power Shot SX200 with me to San Francisco and ended up with some amazing pictures.

For the picture of the girl in her wetsuit, I took a lot of photos as she walked toward the water, watching her boyfriend on his surf board, and stripping off her wetsuit. The result was a number of great shots. Instead of putting her dead center, I positioned the camera so that she was about a third of the way in. This is the rule of thirds.

I also kept the shot simple. All you see is the water, the girl, and the wet sand reflecting her image. It was late afternoon, so the sun was lower in the sky and to the side of her. This highlighted her arm and grabs the viewer’s attention.

So as you can see, even with a point & shoot camera, you can still take great photos if you know the secrets.

blog, and more:

Tip # 66: Yes you can! + photography tips