Purple Prose + Novel

The Twelve Days of Christmas for Writers: Day Ten

source

Last week I shared with you some of my favorite books on plotting and story structure. But what’s an awesome book on plotting without these cool tools?

Corkboard

I’m currently playing around with my corkboard as I plot my YA horror novel Save-the-Cat style.

Index Cards

During the spring, I posted on using a corkboard for plotting, and someone pointed out that colored index cards help you visualize the different subplots. Brilliant idea!

Plotting Software

Of course, if technology is more your style, it’s not too late to ask Santa for a software program like Scrivener.

Note Pads

source

Unless you want to write on your legs and arms, like I’ve been known to do when I get an earth-shattering idea, don’t forget to ask Santa for note pads.

Pens

source

And let’s not forget the cute pens. You can never have enough pen, especially if yours have a tendency to walk off like mine.

What would you like to see in your stocking this year?

On the tenth day of Christmas my true love gave to me:

A stocking filled with cool writing tools,
Gift cards so I can go on a novel-buying spree (yippee!),
Six books for page-turning plots,
Workshops to make me smarter,
One sexy dance outfit,
Membership to a writing organization,
Three books for kickass characterizations,
Tons of yummy chocolate,
AquaNotes, so I can brainstorm in the shower,
And Margie Lawson’s awesome lecture notes.

12 days of Christmas, blog, book, favorite, love, and more:

The Twelve Days of Christmas for Writers: Day Ten + Novel