Purple Prose + weekend

The Next Big Thing

©Stina Lindenblatt

Kelly Lyman tagged me last week for the latest, cool tag game going on. I’m not going to talk about my WIPs. They’re still a secret. But I will talk about the book that I’m currently querying.

What is the working title of your book?

Shot in the Dark

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I have a background in sports physiology and performance enhancing drugs. My ex-boyfriend and I disagreed about the use of steroids. He was all for them. I thought he was an idiot. That’s the short version. An issue of Sports Illustrated Kids had an article about steroid use and that sparked the idea for the book.

What genre does your book fall under?

YA contemporary but it also has romance and suspense.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I have no idea. Chace Crawford is how I imagine Daniel Ackerman. Maddie White reminds me of Snow White with attitude.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

After her twin brother commits suicide, Seventeen-year-old Maddie teams up with his best friend and digs into the secret, steroid-trade culture of her town—unknowingly making them a target to the people desperate to see the secrets kept, at any cost.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Which version? Nuff said.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

In my query, I focused on comparison authors instead of books: Simone Elkeles, Kody Keplinger, and Katie McGarry

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

It was inspired by my annoyance of steroid use in sports, and how teens feel it’s necessary to use the drug in order to excel or to improve their appearance. The drug is dangerous.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Although Daniel (hot love interest) is the senior varsity quarterback, his real love is Latin Dance.

And the tag goes to . . .

Katie Mills (Aka Creepy Query Girl)
Christina Lee
Janet Johnson
Kelly Polark
Leigh T Moore (author of The Truth About Faking It. Great book!)

Because I'm going to be super busy Friday and this weekend due to a RWA workshop in my city, I won't be blogging this Friday. I wish you all a great week and weekend.

XOX

best, blog, blogging, book, love, love story, movie, Shot in the Dark, and more:

The Next Big Thing + weekend