Purple Prose + TIME

Bon Voyage Oh Manuscript

©Stina Lindenblatt

Reporter sticks microphone in manuscript’s face: Manuscript, now that Stina has finished your second draft, what are you going to do?

Manuscript: I’m going to Disneyworld.

Okay, maybe my YA horror ms isn’t going to Disneyworld for the next two or so weeks, but I will be taking a break from it for awhile. I never used to do this. I would become so involved with the story I was working on, I couldn’t bear the thought of being separated from it for more than a day. Nope, I don’t sound like a love sick teen at all.

Times have changed. With my last novel, I discovered giving it some breathing space helped me strengthen it when I returned to it. The longer the vacation I took from it, the more mistakes or issues I noticed. I was able to look at it more objectively.

So, what am I going to do for the next two or so weeks?

  • Analyze a YA contemporary book I love.

  • Beta read.

  • Plan my next project (New Adult novel).

  • Study up on using Facebook. I still have no idea how to use this tool to the make the most of its features. Thank goodness someone created the Facebook for Dummies series. When it comes to Facebook, I’m definitely a dummy.

  • Read. Read. Read.

  • Take up yoga. (Um, let’s not get too crazy here). *deletes this goal*

Do you give your manuscripts distance after you finish a draft? If so, what kinds of things do you do to keep yourself busy?

book, LIFE, love, love story, Novel, space, and more:

Bon Voyage Oh Manuscript + TIME