Purple Prose + Review

Hobby, Job, or Passion?

Last night, the husband and I were talking. about my writing. He said, "I'm glad you found a hobby." He meant it because I've been on to him for years for fishing so much... now I write more than he fishes and don't care if he fishes a lot lol.

But the word 'hobby' bugged me. He didn't mean it bad (and hobbies aren't bad), but to me, writing is more than a hobby, just like I'm sure (if he really thought about it) fishing is more than a hobby to him.

Then I asked him, "Do you think it's just a hobby?"

And he got that deer in the headlights look that men tend to get and said, "Um... no. It's more like a hobby and a second job."

Job? Hm... that didn't sound right either.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my job as a teacher! It makes me do a silly happy dance when they learn to do something (especially if it's go to the potty ;) ), but writing seems... different. To me, it doesn't seem like a job.

Then I read a blog post last night about writing being a passion (I'd link it if I remembered where it was). And it clicked!

Writing is a Passion! To me, anything you LOVE to do, is your passion. I love teaching, It's a passion of mine. The same goes for writing. Since it's a passion, it doesn't seem like work (teaching doesn't either most days... unless the state comes for it's annual visits and I'm a nervous nelly ;)).
For Teaching: I love getting kids to learn. I love watching their faces when they've mastered something. I love watching them play and interacting with other kids.
For Writing: I love creating new worlds. I love learning about new characters and what their stories are. I love to get so lost in the story that it feels like coming out of the water after a dive.
Both are passions. What is your passion? Everybody has something they love to do so much it doesn't feel like a job.
It might be blogging...
Or a internet company you have on etsy...
Or reading...
Or church ministry...
Or whatever it is that YOU do that you'd do even if you didn't get paid...
I'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment :) Much Love, ~Kelly P.S. Crossing the Deep has a release date! It is scheduled to be released by Astraea Press on October 9th, 2012 :)

blogging, HAPPY, love, love story, release, and more:

Hobby, Job, or Passion? + Review