Purple Prose + Review

Life Lessons... From Internet Message Boards

You all may or may not know that I'm writing a book...
Now, I have big plans for it (but it will only go as far as God wants it)
It is targeted for Young Adult, but God/religion is a big part of it.
I posted part of it on a message board for writers (one I love and won't bash), and I got a comment that has stuck with me every since. The girl giving the comment said that she really liked the idea for the book, but...
I might want to leave out the 'God' part because Teens now day were 'kind of against God'


I've been thinking about that a lot since (it's been about a month.) It has nothing to do with the person leaving the comment, so please don't think that. She was only reporting what she was seeing.
I admit that I read lots of paranormal Young Adult books: Twilight, Vampire Diaries, The Mortal Instruments (City of... ) books. I love them all (well maybe not Breaking Dawn... ;)) And when my kids get older, I wouldn't care if they read them...

To be honest, the first novel I ever read was 'Interview with the Vampire' when I was in 8th grade (the movie had just came out)
So, I'm all for those types of books. I think they have their place.
BUT...
One of the reasons I wanted to write this book was for teens (and adults like me) to have books on God because there aren't many.
I was wondering what my girls would have to read when they get to be teens.
Will they have Christian books to read or will they only have paranormal books because "Teens are against God."
Honestly, it hurt when I read it.
And it had nothing to do with my book.
It hurt worse that someone thought teens didn't believe in God anymore...
And what's even worse... Lots of them don't.
Like the Israelites in the days of Exodus, what is more appealing? A mystical 'god' that give you powers and you can control (ie magic) OR A God you have to obey and follow His commands: One you have to serve and not control?
As a mother of 3 little girls who will grow up in this world, it scares me.
But it's not their fault, not entirely anyway.
Titus 2:4 These older women must train the younger women...
Titus 2:6 In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely
How will they know, if we don't teach them?
If all a teen has to read is about magic, how will they know about God?
If all a teen has to read about is kids like them drinking, doing drugs, sleeping around, how will they know differently?
God showed me during a trip to the Christian Bookstore that there are so few titles for teens.
There are so few tv shows that show any kind of Christian values (We had to stop watching Victorious because everytime someone said 'stupid' my kids would go "They're not supposed to say that!" lol)

This may seem like I'm harping on 'values' and tv and the like, but I'm not. And I might sound like a hyprcrite (I hope not).
We need more things in the world for teens/young adults and really even adults that focus on God. Honestly, I'm not sure what my kids will watch after they get too big for PBS Kids.
I'm starting to ramble, and I don't mean too.

We have a lot of work to do, friends.
Much Love, Kelly~Who hopes she didn't sound like I'm 'out of touch with the world', but doesn't care if she did ;)
Linked with: Brag on God Friday 

book, hope, love, movie, Novel, and more:

Life Lessons... From Internet Message Boards + Review