Purple Prose + Novel

Sweet Saturday Sample-- BIRL

You read that right ;)

One of my favorite things is writing short fiction, as in VERY short: 100 word stories and twitterfiction (you know who stories you can fit on twitter... 140 characters. It's not as easy as it sounds)

My favorite contest is a weekly 100 word one from glitterword.wordpress.com. Stevie McCoy posts a picture and a weird word, and we write short stories about it. There is a contest and a few winners chosen each week (I won Honorable Mention last week :) )

SO... I wanted my Sweet Saturday Sample to be this little story. The word was birl: to To spin or cause to rotate.

I don't have the copyright to the picture, so I can't post it here, but you can go HERE: http://glitterword.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/tuesdaytales-73-birl/ and see it (it really is a pretty picture).
I didn't win this time, but I really liked the story and thought I'd share with you guys...

The music made her head birl. Laughter from men who had too many drinks filled the air.
Women swung their full skirts outward as tuxedo-clad “gentlemen” spun them around the ornate, circular room.
Someone grabbed her by the waist and pulled her into a waltz. The face she recognized, but couldn’t recall the owner’s name. So familiar. So far away. “We’ll be together again someday. I promise.” He smiled before twirling her into the arms of another. A hard object jabbed into her stomach. A shot rang out. Blood splattered her perfect white corset. She rose from her bed with sweat beading her brow. The bright light from the television lit his sleeping face. The man. The dancer. He’d found her again.

123 words @martieKay If you love writing, Tuesday Tales is a great exercise. :)

contest, favorite, fiction, Inspiration, love, love story, and more:

Sweet Saturday Sample-- BIRL + Novel