Purple Prose + Novel

Sweet Saturday Sample-- Ray and Sloan chit-chat

This is a snippet from my new book, SAINT SLOAN, available now :)

Saint Sloan

Sloan wanted to go home and pretend the day hadn’t
happened. If history taught her anything, she knew Mackenzie
wouldn’t stay upset forever. Still, though, it wasn’t the way she had
planned on ending her seventeenth year.
“Is this seat taken?”

Sloan looked up and saw Ray looking down at her with his
tray in his hands. He’d gotten the chicken and salad as well. “Yeah,
that’s fine. I don’t think Mackenzie is coming back.”

“Mackenzie? Mackenzie Woodard? Wasn’t she in our
kindergarten class?”

“One and the same. My one and only friend who can’t seem
to stand talking to me right now. Can’t really blame her.”

Ray sat down and took a sip of his soft drink. “You seem to
have that effect on people.”

“Tell me about it.” She sighed with her head resting on her
hand. “I can’t seem to say anything right today.”

“Well, third time’s a charm. Try talking to me.”

As appealing as having a conversation with Ray sounded,
she didn’t know if she should with the roll she was on. “I don’t
know. It appears I’m dangerous and can’t be trusted with words.”

“I don’t mind. I’m used to it. Aaron can’t be trusted with
words either.”

She had a feeling he wasn’t wrong Her mind swimming
with questions, Sloan wanted to ask him why he was really back
and why he’d left in the first place. She wanted to ask more about
his mother and Aaron, who she owed big time for taking her home.
But instead she pushed her salad around her plate.

“I take it your day hasn’t gotten any better,” he said, his
deep blue eyes locked on her. Sloan wished she knew the secrets
behind them; then again, maybe she didn’t want to know. She
definitely had plenty of skeletons in her own closet.

“Not much, and I hate it because I have nothing to be upset
over. I woke up this morning, I’m able to go to school, and
tomorrow’s my birthday. But there’s something about today that
just feels wrong. I feel wrong.” Sloan didn’t have a piece of lettuce
on her plate that hadn’t been scooted to the other side, yet she
hadn’t taken a bite.

“Maybe Darcy’s starting to get to you.”

“Maybe a lot of people are.”

He pointed with his fork to the football table. “That guy with
her is looking at you.”

Sloan looked and saw Ray was right. “That’s Boyd,” she said
as she pivoted back to face Ray. “My ex.”

“Fun.”

“Always.”

BUY LINKS:
AMAZON
BARNES and NOBLE
ASTRAEA PRESS
ALL ROMANCE

book, History, Inspiration, and more:

Sweet Saturday Sample-- Ray and Sloan chit-chat + Novel