Purple Prose + Writing

Tip # 93: Unifying with Theme

©Stina Lindenblatt

When you write a story or take a photo, the theme should be humming at the back of your mind. Sometimes the theme is obvious; sometimes it’s subtle. Sometimes there’s more than one.

But it should always be there.

In writing, the theme guides your story. You might not even realize what your theme is until you’ve finished your first draft. But once you’ve figured out what it is, your theme should always be in the back of your mind, guiding your edits.

In photography, having a theme in mind before you start shooting will help you make the most of the moment. For example, I wanted to show my love for writing. When I saw the roses my husband gave me for Valentine’s Day, I knew instantly how I could use them to reveal my theme.

When you write or take pictures, do you have a theme in mind before you start, or does it come to you once you’ve finished (the first draft)?

photography tips, theme, and more:

Tip # 93: Unifying with Theme + Writing