Purple Prose + Novel

Book Review: Rafael by K. Victoria Chase

Friends, I don't normally do book reviews, but I thought I'd start. I love reading 'clean' fiction (meaning no bad words or, as my publisher calls it pink parts... you can figure that part out on your own ;) )

I haven't decided if I'm going to do one a month, two a month, or every week... probably not every week.

But I wanted to start off with a book I really enjoyed. It's called RAFAEL by K. Victoria Chase.

Rafael by K. Victoria Chase

(ain't that cover awesome? :) )
K. Victoria Chase sent me this book for free to review-- however, I kinda lost it. I loved it so much that I went ahead and bought it for my e-reader. Folks, that's love of a book!

The basic plot is Genie Green is a detective-- and a scorned woman. *Something* has happened to cause her not only to not trust men, but to have serious issues with God.
A particularly perplexing case falls in her lap, bringing with it Rafael Santiago from California. He's helping her on the case, and she's not happy about at all. It's not just because he's a man but because he was also a member of the Snakes-- the gang supposedly connected to the seemingly random murders.
Genie doesn't know if she can trust Rafael. His 'former bad boy with a heart of gold' routine might be an act, but there is something about him: something passed his good looks and sweet personality that makes her trust him (whether she wants to or not).
I absolutely loved this book. I wanted so badly for it to be in paperback so I could flip to the end (yeah, I know you can do that on a nook, but I don't exactly know how lol.)

Rafael is an absolute charmer (but not in a swarmy way). He knows who he is, what he is, and all about his past, but he doesn't let that define him. And he loves his Mama (come on, girls... let's all sigh at that :) ).

Genie is as hardheaded as she can be. She has her reasons. She's a woman in a man's world, and she wants to advance through the ranks to eventually be in the FBI. She sees Rafael as someone blocking that goal, so she's not entirely thrilled with him.

I'm not going to lie, this book didn't end the way I thought it would. That's not a bad thing either.

The writing about the crime/murders was very realistic, most likely due to the fact that Ms. Chase works in law enforcement. The characters are believable, flawed, and have the same questions about life we all have.

And the kisses... oh the kisses... they are pretty hot as well :)

I give Rafael 5 out of 5 stars.

Here is a little preview. I love these 2 together:

“Wow. You know, you have a real talent with women.” Rafa gave her a sideways glance but didn’t answer. She saw the corners of his mouth fight an upward pull. “I bet they have you working all the female subject interviews.” Genie tugged hard on the door handle. “You don’t have to be jealous Genie,” came his smooth reply. “Jealous? Ha! Why would I be jealous of her? Over you?” She got in and slammed the door closed. Rafa slid effortlessly into the seat, calmly closed the door, and jerked his seatbelt on when the car surged forward. Genie nearly forgot to brief the surveillance team, and she whipped the vehicle around and pulled alongside the other car. She rolled down her window. “Let’s give it another day fellas. I’ll let the Lieutenant know and if there is any change to the plan, then we’ll give you a call. Until then, your relief will come as scheduled.” They nodded in affirmation, and Genie drove away. “Watch your speed,” Rafa teased. “My speed? What about your speed?” “Myspeed?” His voice feigned innocence to her insinuation. “In another minute Ms. Flores Cera would have forgone the call and invited you in. I’m sure she could whip up some fajitas and rice in no time.” Rafa roared with laughter. “Do you hear yourself? Fajitas and rice? Who knew Ms. Church could toss around stereotypes.” Genie blinked. Did she truly say that? Shame swept through her. “I’m sorry,” she murmured. “That was unkind. I don’t know what I was thinking.” “I do.” Genie heard the smile in his voice. She wasn’t jealous. She. Wasn’t. Jealous.

BUY LINKS:
Barnes & Noble
Amazon
Astraea Press

~Kelly

book, detective, fiction, HAPPY, Inspiration, love, and more:

Book Review: Rafael by K. Victoria Chase + Novel