Purple Prose + Review

My Issues with 'The Vampire Diaries'

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not coming at this from a 'Christian' perspective-- well, I'm trying not too. While nothing on this show screams, "Christian values" (it's about vampires after all... ), it's not what is bothering me about it recently.
And I'm not judging you if you watch it. I've never missed an episode-- I just need to get some thoughts out. So...
****************
I started watching The Vampire Diaries on the CW in summer of 2010. I was hooked on the first episode. Vampire brothers, Damon and Stefan, move back to Mystic Falls, Va. Stefan falls for 'good girl', Elena, who is identical to his first love, and fellow vampire, Katherine (turns out Elena is Katherine's doppelganger... who knew?)
Damon hates Stefan for turning him and promises to make 'an eternity of misery for you'-- and does-- however, in the end, the brothers' love for each other saves them from many situations.
Other characters include: Bonnie: The Bennett witch Caroline: the Newbie Vampire/Head Cheerleader Tyler: Werewolf (now wolf-vampire hybrid) Jeremy: Elena's brother-- likes the drugs-- sees dead people Alaric: History teacher by day-- vampire hunter by night-- Damon's best friend. Matt: Human-- Klaus: One of the original vamps. He was the big bad until his mommy came back from the dead. Elijah: Klaus' brother. Rebecca: Their sister
If you get the point, I've watched this show for a while lol.
Then a few months ago, something changed, and I started seeing things in the show that I didn't like. Sure, I'm 31 and not the target audience, but my kids are getting to the age where they are going to watch this stuff. I started watching as a MOMMY and not a FAN GIRL (which does take some of the fun away if I'm going to be honest)
And I KNOW this goes on on a lot of teen shows-- I get that. This is just one I happen to watch.
Problem the first: Damon is always drinking! Not blood either. When he gets mad, he drinks. When he is happy, he drinks. When it's 8 am, he drinks. What a great way to show teens how to deal with their problems...
Problem the second: No one ever stays dead-- Every character (EVERY CHARACTER) has died at least once. Yet, we still have a show because everyone (well most everyone, some stay dead) comes back. What is the point of a show when there is no consequences for dying? And what does that show about death?
Problem the third: Underaged drinking. Even the 'good girl' drinks. Everyone drinks. Can there be ONE character that doesn't? IN real life, does everyone drink? I might be sheltered here. I never drank anything until I was 22 or 23. I'm not saying make a big deal about it, but maybe give us one person who isn't hung up on the liquor.
Problem the forth (and one of the main issues I have): Damon's controlling attitude and how he lashes out at Elena when he's mad. I GET IT... Damon is a vampire. They aren't moral by nature. But human girls watch it-- human girls with real life boyfriends. On the show, the first time Elena told Damon she didn't love him-- he broke her brother's neck (but as we have established, he didn't die forever, because.. well.. you get the point).
The second time she told him his loving her was a problem, he snapped someone's neck (he didn't die either) and then he slept with Rebecca (who is trying to kill Elena-- for literally stabbing her in the back).
And what gets me (and it might be because I'm old) I've read posts from girls who defend his actions because he's "hurt" or "a bad guy" or "he's just so sexy".

Yeah-- cause that's the message we need to send kids. "Hey girls, it's ok if a guy goes all nuts when you tell him you don't love him and hurts people because of it."

If you are still reading, bless you. I've loved this show for years (hangs head sadly)-- and after Thursday's episode, I've erased all of my DVRs and cut it from my schedule. God has really been dealing with me about this show-- even to the point where I was hiding it from my husband lol... I know.. I know.

IF your kids watch it, I'm not telling you to make them stop. What I am saying is that you need to watch it with them. Talk to them while you are watching it. Explain things you don't like and talk about ways you can deal with anger appropriately. Use it to talk to your kids-- there are lots of good talks you can have about the show.

I basically used 'The Vampire Diaries' as an example here because it's a show I've watched for years and I know the ins and outs... there are so many other shows that could fit into this post.

And if you get convicted to stop watching... stop. I fought it for months (it was my addiction-- I know, some addiction lol).

Do you have any shows that you watch that you feel like you shouldn't (for whatever reason: moral, emotional, etc.)? How do you deal with it? Do you watch the same shows your kids do? How do you talk to them while you are watching it?

How do you feel about TV shows in general?

Much Love,
Kelly (who is an old fuddy duddy;) )

best, HAPPY, History, love, love story, and more:

My Issues with 'The Vampire Diaries' + Review