Purple Prose + Novel

Calico Daniels-- The Thangs We Eat

This post is written by the fabulous Calico Daniels, author of the new book Fried Pickles and the Fuzz (more on that later). Calico is a Southern lady who's dyin' to tell you folks about some of the fine delicacies we have in the South (just so you know, though Southern, I've never eaten any of them ;) )

I'm so excited she took the time to write this post for my blog!

Here's Calico...

I am always amazed when I see some of these things bein’ talked about as fine dining. Cows tongue, Rooster combs or chicken feet, ox tail soup…gizzards. I ‘bout fell over one day at the market when I spotted the price on tongue. WHEW! Where I come from you just tell your processor when you take your cow in that you want the tongue and you get it. I never realized it carried such a price tag in the store.
Now, Pawpaw loved fried chicken feet. Meemaw has told me more than once about fryin’ up a big batch and Pawpaw sittin’ at the table just munchin’ away almost as fast as she could cook ‘em. Not much on them but gristle but he sure liked them.
Ox tail generally isn’t even from an ox. It’s just what we call the tail of a cow when you get it cut into sections for cookin’. Like a pigs foot or ham hock it works real good in soups. For some reason it packs a lot of flavor.
Now, tongue. Yeah, my husband wrinkles his nose about that thought too J But my father in law and I love it. I usually do one a year, cooked just like you would a roast. While many might find the meat a little chewy we like it. Once you get it all trimmed and the taste buds off just slice it up and it makes a great sandwich.
Gizzards are another country food that my family goes nuts over. I usually end up slicing them into bite sized bits before I batter and fry them. Served with some mashed potatoes and a little gravy and it’s a meal my family will clean their plate for J (If you don’t know what a gizzard is…since birds don’t have teeth they have a gizzard which helps them to break down their food.)
~ Calico Daniels
Fried Pickles and the Fuzz coming January 2013 to Astraea Press

Blurb: Big Creek might be a stereotypical small town but even they have drama.
Heather loves her little café, and her best customer is the county Sherriff. She’s been waiting months for him to ask her out…maybe she won’t have to wait much longer.
Bronson feels at home in Big Creek even though he hasn’t been the Sherriff for long. Small towns have their perks and a pretty café owner who cooks like an angel certainly doesn’t hurt. Now, if he could only get over his nerves and drum up the gumption to ask her out.
Throw in a gossip mill, a redneck festival and an ill timed attempt to help and you end up with some laughs, some ruffled feathers and a town that is….Redneck Fabulous.

best, book, Inspiration, love, and more:

Calico Daniels-- The Thangs We Eat + Novel